Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trash or Treasure?

I sent a picture of this old display shelf to our youngest daughter to view, thinking she would like it.  The owner of this booth in a local antique store is closing shop and selling a few of her display shelves.


It is 48" high, 20" deep and about 28" wide and the color is more green than it appears in the pictures.  The price was marked $40/ firm.  After going back to view it a second time, I noticed all the "issues" this piece has.  It is missing many of the glass divider pieces.  Also, half of the glass on the front ( which I now realize is facing the other way in the photos ) is missing,  AND some of the side pieces, as well.  The right side is brown, and there is some faux ugly stuff painted on the front.  It is also missing one of the wood dividers. Oh my, the curvy trim on the bottom is missing a piece too!  Ditto on the front.


There is no way to replace the glass pieces without taking it apart, and I don't think it would survive the process.  I made an offer of $20, but the dealer won't accept less than $30.  So, what would you do?  Would you buy it? 
Linked to:

16 comments:

  1. I would buy it if I absolutely knew I'd use it. If it's just a project, then no probably not

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 30 bucks, I don't think I'd think twice. ;) Is that bad? I tend to tell myself "I definitely DESERVE that!" a lot lately. Hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool little shelf, with the curvy bottom, but I am not sure I would buy it with all the missing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a hard one, even with all those problems, it is still functioning as a display piece, but what else could you get for $30? Isn't it funny how you see a piece for the first time, and can miss the "flaws"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having bought too many projects myself that never were finished-I would say no (to myself). Hold out for $20!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the piece but I don't think I would buy it. I just don't have a place for it and these days I'm having to edit my purchases just a little bit because my house is filling up with all of my "wonderful finds". ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely not. It belongs in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, comment above, is that you MOTHER? :@

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, but I have to agree with your mother(!). You deserve better!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd leave it! I've picked up waayyy too many things that needed too much work-and now I'm stuck wondering why in the world did I do that?!?

    If you are looking for a display piece like that one, do you know anyone who does woodworking as a hobby who might be able to make one for you? They might enjoy the project and you might get exactly what you want...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is cute, cute, cute! Thanks for your kind comment at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd skip it. It is requiring to much fix up. Would make good kindling wood for this winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. With ALL those issues, I would probably pass on this piece. My philosophy is...unless something is REALLY unique or such a steal that I CAN'T pass it up...I pass it up. ;)

    I would love to have you join the fun at my party...Time Travel Thursday. Click the button in the sidebar to join.

    Have a wonderful weekend!


    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I think it is totally adorable. But I have to say I wouldn't buy it either. Only because I think $30 is too high for the current condition unless this is exactly what she was looking for. But, this is a really cute display piece and I'll keep my fingers crossed the seller will see the error of her ways and come down to $20!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and I forgot to add - this is not even close to being trash in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I had the skills to fix it, and the price was right, I'd buy it. I think it's really interesting, and I love the paint color on it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make it all worthwhile. Thanks for visiting today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...